ATLANTA, Nov. 8, 2018 /PRNewswire/ -- Novelis Inc., the world leader in aluminum rolling and recycling, published its Fiscal Year 2018 Sustainability Report today. The report articulates the company's purpose of "Shaping a Sustainable World Together" through a global commitment to the products it makes and the people it serves. A highlight of the company's environmental stewardship is that its production output in the fiscal year was comprised of 57 percent recycled content. This is an increase of two percent over the prior year and marks a steady rise since the metric was formally tracked at a baseline of 30 percent (an average of FY07–09 performance).
In addition, since our FY07-09 baseline, the company has reduced water usage by 28 percent from 3.7 to 2.6 cubic meters per metric ton of product. Also during this timeframe, the company has continued to curb its greenhouse gas emissions (GHG), reducing carbon dioxide emissions from 21 million metric tons to 15.8 million metric tons, a 25 percent reduction; with a 5 percent reduction in FY18 alone. In FY18, the company also decreased annual waste sent to landfills by nearly 30 percent (7.5 to 5.3 kilograms per metric ton of product) with a more modest reduction in energy intensity over the prior year with a 1 percent reduction (9.63 to 9.38 gigajoules per metric ton).
"Our sustainability achievements measured against established multi-year metrics underscore why we look to our corporate purpose as a guiding principle in all we do," said Novelis President and CEO Steve Fisher. "This progress is all about making every phase of our business operations more sustainable and efficient. By reducing our dependence on precious natural resources, our business can prosper far into the future, along with our customers and communities."
Additional achievements with customers, partners, employees and the community from FY2018 include:
- Through the Novelis Safety System, a systemic approach to risk reduction and maintaining employee safety, the company achieved industry-leading safety performance. Also through its partnership with the American Red Cross, the company is committed to having its employees certified to provide first aid and trained in cardiolpulmonary resucitaton and automated external defibrillator usage.
- Novelis has been lauded for building the workforce of the future, with its Engineering Development Program (EDP) and other initiatives aimed at recruiting and retaining talent. This year, EDP was recognized by the U.S. Chamber of Commerce as a model initiative for identifying and closing the skills gap to create a sustainable talent pipeline.
- Diversity and inclusion efforts also took center stage including Women in Novelis, an internal effort to accelerate recruitment, retention and advancement of women in all levels of the organization, and EquAL, an innovative program launched in South America to increase workplace diversity.
- The global Novelis workforce supported more than 250 community projects at 30 sites in 10 countries in support of global and local causes aligned with the company's purpose.
- Novelis supported and provided aluminum for 45 FIRST Robotics teams worldwide with the aim to inspuire young people to seek science and technology careers.
- Now in its second year of a five-year pledge to Habitat for Humanity International, Novelis built its first designated Recycle for Good home, funded entirely by proceeds from recycled aluminum bottles and cans collected at sporting and recreational events.
- Novelis aluminum is featured in more than 225 current vehicle models on the road today, including two big winners at the North American International Auto Show: the aluminum-intensive 2018 Lincoln Navigator, awarded Truck of the Year, and the 2018 Honda Accord, Car of the Year. Both were recognized for their application of lightweight aluminum.
- Novelis earned its first Strategy Cooperation Award at the Chery Jaguar Land Rover Supplier Conference for its significant role in the successful launch of the all-new Jaguar XFL – the first model in the segment to apply innovative aluminum architecture in the Chinese market.
- The new 2018 Jeep Wrangler is now equipped with lightweight, high-strength Novelis aluminum closures, including doors, fenders, hoods and lift-gates. The model is 200 pounds lighter than the previous steel version, and gas mileage is expected to rise by three miles per gallon, according to the automaker. Offering a safe, sustainable and cost-effective way to lightweight vehicles, automotive aluminum applications result in better performance and agility, increased fuel economy and reduced carbon emissions.
- Novelis recently announced a partnership with the London Electric Vehicle Company to provide aluminum for its all-new, zero-emissions capable taxi, which has a lightweight aluminum frame helping to reduce carbon emissions and increase electric battery range.
Given the infinitely-recyclable properties of aluminum, recycling aluminum produces about 95 percent fewer GHG emissions and requires about 95 percent less energy than primary aluminum production. These properties enable Novelis to achieve lower emissions and drive sustainable value across its business segments of beverage can, automotive and high-end specialties. For example, Novelis recycles approximately 65 billion used beverage cans a year, returning them to store shelves in approximately 60 days. In the automotive space, Novelis helps customers achieve their sustainability goals through scrap metal collection and closed-loop recycling.
For more information and to download the Fiscal Year 2018 Novelis Sustainability Report, visit: www.novelis.com/sustainability.
Novelis Inc. is the global leader in aluminum rolled products and the world's largest recycler of aluminum. The company is headquartered in Atlanta, Georgia, operates in 10 countries, has approximately 11,000 employees and had $11.5 billion in revenue for its 2018 fiscal year. Novelis supplies premium aluminum sheet and foil products to transportation, packaging, construction, industrial and consumer electronics markets throughout North America, Europe, Asia and South America. Novelis is a subsidiary of Hindalco Industries Limited, an industry leader in aluminum and copper, and metals flagship company of the Aditya Birla Group, a multinational conglomerate based in Mumbai, India. For more information, visit novelis.com and follow us on Facebook at facebook.com/Novelis Inc and Twitter at twitter.com/Novelis.
SOURCE Novelis Inc.